The Detention Officer supervises the inmates in all activities of the facility. The primary objective is to ensure the facility’s security, prevent escape, ensure the safety of staff and inmates, and control inmate behavior. Detention officers will perform work following established laws, rules, regulations, and specific instructions.
- U.S. Citizen
- 18 yrs of age
- Meet vision standards
- Meet hearing standards
- Meet JCSO standards concerning tattoos
- Have a valid Missouri Driver’s License
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Be able to pass a thorough reference and/or background investigation, which may include a polygraph/voice stress exam.
- If required, a psychological evaluation and physical examination.
- Tests administered may consist of written, practical skills, physical agility, oral interview, typing, or any other form which allows the candidate to demonstrate his/her suitability for the position.
Commissioned: $32,988.88 /year
Non-commissioned: $30,409.60 /year
*Increased starting salary for previous law enforcement experience.
Medical, Dental, Vision & Life.
LAGERS: County provides this at no cost to the employee. 5 years to be vested, 55 years old to retire with full benefits. In 2019 the county voted to raise the LAGERS retirement benefit to one of the highest rates in the state and still be eligible for social security.
CERF: The employee optionally can put 4% of their salary into this fund, 8 years to be vested, 62 years old to retire full benefits. CERF provides a $10,000.00 death policy at no additional cost. Additionally, employees can contribute to an optional savings plan. The County will match .50 cents of every $1 contributed.
1 week for the first year
2 weeks after the second year
3 weeks after ten years
4 weeks after 15 years
8 hours of sick pay per month, 480 hours cap.
The County typically receives 16 paid holidays a year.
Up to $6,000.00 Police Academy reimbursement for full-time Employees hired within six months of graduation.
Police academy Scholarship Opportunities for full-time employees seeking to attend the police academy.